Miscellanea

Quick note, the interview I was part of with Technical Difficulties of Caleb of Hebanon Games on his game Red Markets is now live! Go check it out on our website.

Little bit of a funny story about the ad at the beginning of that interview. Being in the US and having a holiday weekend, partner and I were traveling when Aaron (who does the audio engineering for TD) texted us, asking if partner could record an ad to throw up at the beginning of the interview. Having just realized that would be a good idea. Being at our friend's house for the Memorial weekend yearly get together we didn't have the microphone we use with us. So, maybe when we got home Monday evening and the interview could go up late? But wait, several of our friend are part of No Nostalgia Filter, maybe someone hasn't started the drive yet and could bring a microphone with them. Oh, you've all already started driving? Okay. Wait what? Angelo, why do you always carry your professional grade microphone with you...? No, never mind, not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

So yeah, that ad was recorded with a better quality microphone than we usually have access to, partner learned a new technique for recording multiple takes, and there was much rejoicing. 

On the personal writing news level, I have finished transcribing The Night Clerk! My next writing project (which I have no plans to try and push forward while editing Red Markets) is going to be a novelization of that scenario from Role Playing Public Radio. It's going to be my first foray into horror which is going to be fun. Specifically atmospheric and mental horror, so lots of opportunity to focus on and work on my descriptive writing. I'm looking forward to this.

I have a several-step process to prepare for novelizing an actual play of an RPG session:
1.  Transcribe the audio
    Transcribing gets me to listen to the episode again, in a very intent way, really concentrating on what happened and who does what. But, more importantly, it creates a record I can text search if I need to refresh my memory. Instead of trying to find the proper time code for the specific issue I have a question about. This is the part that takes the longest; depending on many factors, I can transcribe 1.5-3 minutes of audio in 15-20 minutes. This particular audio was ranging on the high end (2.5-3 minutes in 15) because there were only three folks talking and they were pretty good about not talking over each other. Let me tell you, I am very, very familiar with these folks' verbal tics...
2.  Research points
     Next I reread the transcription and note all the points I think I need to research. These can be things I think I need more historical background on so I'll write it properly, technical details I want to double check, and things that just sound interesting and would like to know more about.
3.  Outline
     I build an outline of what happened in the audio. This is partially to have a timeline and partially to start breaking things down into 'scenes,' which is how I organize things in Scrivener.
     3a. Writing Outline
           If I notice plot holes or things that make sense for a gaming session but not a written story, I'll create a second outline that rearranges scenes. This is to smooth out timeline issues and/or improve the movement between scenes.
     Please note that I am completely willing to rearrange scenes after they're written.
4.  Do the research
     DO THE BLOODY RESEARCH. This step is NOT skippable. This is where I'll pull together reference material into Scrivener's Research section and maybe build a relevant Pinterest board.
5.  Character Bible
     A document where I pull together everything that seems relevant about the main characters and any minor characters who show up for more than one scene.

And once all that is done, then I get started writing.